Dr. Anirban Sengupta
M.Sc (Double), DRDT, PGDIM, PhD
MIIC International PostDoctoral Fellow,
Department of Biomedical and Clinical Sciences,
Division of Molecular Medicine and Virology, Linkoping University, Sweden.
Biomedical immunologist currently investigating maturation, activation, differentiation, proliferation of antigen-presenting cells, B and T lymphocytes, and inflammation in Influenza and SARS-CoV-2 infection focusing on development of novel vaccine strategies. Experienced faculty member of reputed college and universities for over six years. Interested in travelling, photography, science outreach programs, management and creative writing.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Immunology Laboratory, Dept. of Zoology, Univ. of Calcutta (2020)
Master of Science (M.Sc) in Zoology, Cytogenetics spcl, Malulana Azad College, Univ.of Calcutta (2011)
Master of Science (M.Sc) in Applied Psychology, Bharathiar University (2017)
Post Graduate Diploma (PGDIM) in Industrial Microbiology, Madurai Kamraj University (2016)
Diploma in Recombinant DNA Technology (DRDT), Madurai Kamraj University (2017)
(FOR DETAILS and the certificates CLICK HERE)
• MIIC International Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biomedical and Clinical Science, Division of Molecular Medicine and Virology, Linkoping University, Sweden (June 2021-)
• Guest Lecturer, Dept. of Zoology, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandir, Belur Math. (Sep 2019- )
• Guest Faculty, Paper Setter & Examiner at Jadavpur University, Pharmaceutical technology Department (Aug, 2016- Sep 2020)
• Academic Expert, Toppr.com
• Senior Research Fellow, Immunology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Calcutta (2014 to 2019)
• Freelance Biology Faculty for Medical Entrance Exam Training at Pathfinder Institution
• Junior Research Fellow at National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Kalyani. Dept. of Biotechnology (Oct, 2011 to Nov, 2013)
• Academic Consultant & Course Content Developer, Saraswati Online.
(FOR individual Job Roles and Responsbilities CLICK HERE)
Research Publications (Click to Expand)
8 international peer-reviewed journal publications so far with 4 of them as the lead author.
Intranasal Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 immunization with lipid adjuvants provides systemic and mucosal immune response against SARS-CoV-2 S1 Spike and nucleocapsid protein, Anirban Sengupta, Mohammad Azharuddina, Maria E. Cardonab, Claudia Devitoa, Eleanore von Castelmurb, Ma-ria Sunnerhagenb, Robert Selegårdb, Daniel Ailib, Jorma Hinkulaa* and Noha Al-Otaibic, Vaccines MDPI (Accepted, In Press)
Partial impairment of late-stage Autophagic Flux in Murine Splenocytes leads to sqstm1/p62 mediated nrf2-keap1 antioxidant pathway activation and induced Proteasome-mediated degradation in Malaria; Sengupta A, Mukherjee S, Ghosh S, Keswani T,Sarkar S, Majumdar G, Das M, Bhattacharyya A.;Microb Pathog. 2020 Jul 18 147:104289. doi: 10.1016/j.micpath.2020.104289
Autophagic Induction modulates Splenic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell mediated immune response in Cerebral Malarial infection model; Sengupta A, Keswani T, Sarkar S, Ghosh S, Mukherjee S,Bhattacharyya A., Microbes Infect. 2019 Jun 8. pii: S1286-4579(19)30060-7. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2019.05.004
Influence of autophagy, apoptosis and their interplay in filaricidal activity of C-cinnamoyl glycosides; Roy P*, Sengupta A*, Joardar N, Bhattacharyya A, Saha NC, Misra AK, Babu SPS. Parasitology. 2019 May 20:1-38. doi: 10.1017/S0031182019000660 *both authors contributed equally.
Impact of autophagic regulation on splenic red pulp macrophages during cerebral malarial infection. Sengupta A, Sarkar S, Keswani T, Mukherjee S, Ghosh S, Bhattacharyya A. Parasitol Int. 2019 Aug;71:18-26. doi: 10.1016/j.parint.2019.03.008. Epub 2019 Mar 11.
Differential modulation of glial cell mediated neuroinflammation in Plasmodium berghei ANKA infection by TGF β and IL 6. Sarkar S, Keswani T, Sengupta A, Mitra S, Bhattacharyya A.,Cytokine. 2017 Aug 10. pii: S1043-4666(17)30226-0. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2017.07.026
Role of TGF-ß and IL-6 in Dendritic cells, Treg and Th17 mediated immune response during experimental cerebral malaria. Keswani T, Sarkar S, Sengupta A and Bhattacharyya A. Cytokine. 2016 Dec;88:154-166. doi: 10.1016 /j.cyto. 2016.08.034. Epub 2016 Sep 12.
Dendritic cells subsets mediated immune response during Plasmodium berghei ANKA and Plasmodium yoelii infection , Keswani T, Sengupta A, Sarkar S, Bhattacharyya A. Cytokine. 2015 Jun;73(2):198-206. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2015.02.023. Epub 2015 Mar 16.
Research Experiences (Click to Expand)
11 years of research experience across three labs from India and Sweden. Experienced in a range of lab techniques. For details Click to Expand.
• Flow Cytometry and Cell Sorting: Cellular isolation by Fluroscence Associated Cell Sorting (FACS) and culture.,In-depth flow cytometric analysis for cell surface CD markers and internal markers.
• Gene/Protein Expression study: Realtime Quantatitaive Polymerase Chain Reaction (q-PCR), Nuclear Protein isolation,Immunoblotting/ Western Blotting, Enzyme linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA), Immunohistochemistry (IHC), Gel Electrophoresis
• Molecular Interaction Study: Immunoprecipitation (IP), Chromatin Immunoprecipitation (ChIP), RNA-Protein interaction study, Pull down assay,
• Cellular Assays: Proteasomal Degradation assay, Adhession assay, Phagocytosis assay, ROS measurement, cell viability assays.
• Recombinant DNA Technology: Protein Expression in bacteria, Molecular Cloning, RDT techniques, plasmid isolatuon, Transformation, Transfection.
• Cell culture: Primary, Secondary cell culture, Bacterial Culture.
• Animal Model: Mice
Teaching Experiences (Click to Expand)
7 years of teaching experience with students ranging from high school level (at NGO) to the Bachelor's student of 5th ranked College of India: Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandira (for two years) and 7th Ranked University of India: Jadavpur University (for four years). Have experience in teaching Biology and Pharmacy for Medical students.
1. Resource Person for 6 students, Advanced Immunology Course Master’s Review, Linkoping University
2. Guest Lecturer, paper setter and examiner at B.Sc Zoology Graduation degree college Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandira College, Belur India.
1. Guest Faculty, Paper Setter and Examiner, Dept. of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur
University for four years;
2. Freelance Biology Faculty (Zoology) for NEET Medical Entrance Examination, Pathfinder Educational Institute. Regular Classroom teaching in different centers for both fresh and repeater batch, use of PowerPoint projection, solving MCQs after each chapter, doubt clearance, use of YouTube video/animation clips for better understanding of key biological concepts.
3. Academic Expert at Toppr.com, career counselling students and doubt-solving at 11-12 standard
4. Academic Consultant (Biology), Teaching NEET-AIPMT Medical Entrance classes, Faculty Recruitment Personnel & Course Content Developer, Saraswati Online Learning Academy.
5. Online Tutor (Biology) at MyStudyCart, Taking Medical Entrance Biology classes in online platform with pen-tablet use with students pan-India
6. Teaching high school underprivileged students as volunteer at Calcutta Social Project NGO.
Awards and Achievements (Click to Expand)
Work Presentation awards from different conference venues, PhD research Fellowships, postdoctoral fellowships, Young Investigator award, Life membership award, Travel Grant Awards from multiple societies and organizations. For Details Click to Expand.
Three times Awardee for Junior Research Fellowship and Lectureship, National Eligibility Test (NET), University Grants Commission (UGC), India, 2011, 2012, 2013.
'Young Investigator Award' for Best Poster Presentation followed by Oral presentation at SFRR-INDIA-14, Lonavala organized by Bhaba Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, 2014. (Society for Free Radical Research)
Best Poster Presentation Award’ for work presentation at 25th National Congress of Parasitology held at CSIR- Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, Oct 2014.
Best Poster Presentation Award’ for work presentation at 26th National Congress of Parasitology held at Banaras Hindu University, Banaras, Jan, 2016 (Indian Society of Parasitology)
Best Oral Presentation Award’ for work presentation at 44th Annual conference Immunological Society of India (Immunocn-2017), Ahmedabad, Gujrat, Dec-2017.
Invited Lecture and Life Membership Grant, International Association for Promotion of Healthcare and Life-Science Research (IAPHLSR) at Nanyang Technological University, Nanyang Executive Centre, Singapore
Young Research Scholarship for 14th International Conference on Healthcare and Life Science Research (ICHLSR), 17-18 June 2017, Singapore from Global Research Development Services.
Travel Grant Awards:
Foreign Travel Grant from Calcutta University- University Grants Commission (UGC), India, 2016
Travel Grant Award from Middle-European Societies of Immunology & Allergology (MESIA)- European Federation of Immunological Societies (EFIS) for Oral Presentation at Budapest, Hungary; Dec, 2016.
Calcutta University-UGC Foreign Travel Grant 2017
European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) Travel Grant for Autophagy Conference 2017,Croatia
Foreign Travel Grant, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India, 2017
Organizational and Management Responsibilities:
Steering Board Member, Linkoping University Postdoctoral Associations (LiUPDA).
Chairperson, Journal Club floor 13, Linkoping University
Event Manager, Pint of Science, Linkoping Chapter, Sweden.
Conducting Multiple workshops and seminars during the teaching responsibilities.
Courses, Workshops, Trainings:
Career Development Course:
1. Grant Writing Workshop, Linkoping University, Sep-Dec 2021.
2. 160 hours Pedagogy course on ‘Teaching in Higher Education’, Linkoping University (ongoing) Jan-June 2022.
3. Research Leadership Course, Linkoping University (upcoming, enrolled)
4. AICTE –QIP Sponsored Short Term Refresher Course for faculty members on “Drug Targeting:” organized by Dept. of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University
Online Certification Course:
Fundamentals of Clinical Trials, Harvard University
Design & interpretation of Clinical Trials, Johns Hopkins University, (90%)
Antimicrobial Stewardship: Optimization of Antibiotic Practices, Stanford University
Genomics and Precession Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, (75.8%)
Epigenetic Control of Gene Expression, University of Melbourne, (81.3%)
Drug Discovery, Development & Commercialization, University of California, San Diego, (89.3%)
Vaccine, University of Pennsylvinia, (89.2%)
Other Workshops and Trainings from National Institute of Biomedical Genomics (NIBMG), Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur; University of Kalyani, Indian Institute of Psychometry and others...
With topics ranging from basic Bioinformatics, Protein Folding, Genetic Dissection of Complex Diseases, Psychological Testing Workshop and others.
(FOR DETAILS and the Certificates CLICK HERE)
Linkoping University Postdoc Association
Steering Board Member
Forum Scientium, LiU
Junior Faculty, LiU
Outreach and Beyond Academics Activities:
POPULAR SCIENCE YOUTUBE LECTURE SERIES:
Placebo is an inactive or inert substance with no therapeutic value. Even though the treatment with placebo seems to be fake, but the disease remission is real. Our Belief system and our psychological makeup can influence our Health with a towering magnitude.
Lecture 1: Science of Sugar Pill/ Sham Surgery-How Belief can change your Life/ Health
Lecture 2: Placebo Science in Pain perception, Chronic, Psychosomatic & Phantom Pain
Lecture 3: Open Label Placebo & Immune Conditioning
Lecture 4: Staging Clinical Theatre- Designing the best Placebo Effect
Lecture 5: Role of Placebo in Drug Discovery Double Blind Clinical Trial
(FOR DETAILS and the Videos CLICK HERE)
• Teaching Volunteer at Calcutta Social Project NGO.
• First Degree in Graphology (Handwriting Analysis), Kolkata Institute of Graphology
• Organ Donor at National Organ & Tissue Transplant Organisation (NOTTO), Govt. of India.
• Marathon: Completed 10km Run in Tata Steel and IDBI Federal Kolkata Marathon.
• Trekking: 5 high altitude Treks including Goechala, Rupin Pass, Sandakphu.
• Photography (FOR DETAILS and Photo Gallery CLICK HERE)
• Times of India Passion Club member: Participating food-walk & survey and Photography walk
• Creative Writing Publications & Blogging: Sandesh, a Bengali monthly magazine